Founded by Lashawn Thomas, the Miami Entertainment Law Group set its standards high and make your goals top priority. Our dedication, drive, and desire to help our clients pursue their dreams is one of the many reasons the Miami Entertainment Law Group is different from other law firms.
ABOUT MIAMI ENTERTAINMENT LAW GROUP
WHY MIAMI ENTERTAINMENT LAW GROUP?
There are many reasons to choose Miami Entertainment Law Group, but the foremost reason you should choose Miami Entertainment Law Group is because helping our clients to achieve their goals is our firm’s main priority and purpose.
ABOUT THE CEO/FOUNDING ATTORNEY
Ms. LaShawn Thomas, Esq., a graduate of Florida International University College of Law, is an Attorney with Miami Entertainment Law Group (MELG), an Entertainment, Arts & Media law firm with offices in beautiful Miami Lakes, Florida. Ms. Thomas earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science with a Minor in International Relations and a concentration in Caribbean Studies from Florida International University.
As a student at the College of Law, Ms. Thomas’ academic achievements were rewarded with a scholarship from the Caribbean Bar Association and a clerkship with the Honorable Judge Victor Tobin, former Chief Judge in and for Broward County, Florida.
Ms. Thomas currently works with a full range of clients throughout the entertainment industry. Her clientele includes entertainment companies, music labels, models, singers, photographers, promoters, performing artists, actors, authors, and music and film and television producers. Ms. Thomas plays a vital role in the organization of the corporate structure for many of her clients, from setting up their business entities to protecting their intellectual property, i.e. the registration and protection of their trademarks and copyrights. Her duties include drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements, coordinating relationships with outside counsel and providing due diligence for investment opportunities. Ms. Thomas also provides services as the business manager for several of her clients, where her duties include ensuring proper payment for services rendered by the client.
Ms. Thomas has negotiated with and/or represented her clients before many of today’s most well-known entertainment companies, including Simon & Schuster, one of the world’s largest publishing companies; Zola Books, publisher of the best selling novel, The Time Traveler’s Wife; Fremantle Media, producers of shows such as American Idol, X Factor, and America’s Got Talent; Viacom, MTV, Black Entertainment Television (BET), the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN), Scripps Network (HGTV), and Monami Entertainment, creator and producer of the hit reality television franchise, Love and Hip Hop, Purveyors of Pop and ThinkFactory Media, and T Group Productions, among others.
MS THOMAS' GUEST/PANEL APPEARANCES INCLUDE:
- Guest Panelist for Impact Magazine‘s Cocktails and Conversations with Tunisha Brown on Be100 Radio (radio interview).
- Guest Speaker, Promoter’s Coalition, discussing the ramifications of operating without a business within the nightclub industry without proper licensing.
- Scheduled Guest Panelist for Glenn Toby’s, The Art of Management, workshop discussing maximizing career potential and commercial success within the music industry.
- 2013 St. Thomas University Entertainment and Sports Law Symposium, discussing how to successfully obtain (H), (O), and (P) visas, i.e. non-immigrant temporary worker visas granted by the United States to individuals “who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.
- “Why Should I Practice Sports, Entertainment, or Intellectual Property Law and What Does It Really Entail”, Florida International University, College of Law, Host and Panelist for the Entertainment Law Segment discussing careers in the Entertainment Industry. Silkk the Shocker, of No Limit Forever Records was Ms. Thomas’ honored guest and Keynote Speaker.
- 2012 Women in PR Summit / Miami, discussing topics related to the protection of intellectual property as a Publicist, the necessity of having a properly structured corporate entity, and how the utilization of properly drafted contracts can protect both the Publicist and the Client.
- Ms. Thomas also gives back by speaking with High School Students in the local area.
- Notable Case: Union Entertainment, LLC vs. Amaury Gutierrez, et al., representing Latin Grammy winner Amaury Gutierrez
The Miami Entertainment Law Group is affiliated with ProMotion Sports & Entertainment (http://www.promotionse.com) and is Of Counsel for the Herbert Law Group (http://herbertlawllc.com/profiles/lashawn-thomas/).